Citizens Hose Company-Shortsville Fire Department

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I have a pile of brush behind my house. Can I burn it?

A: It depends on where you live. There is no open burning in the Village of Shortsville. If you live in the Towns of Manchester, Farmington or Hopewell you can burn the pile, but the smoke or odor cannot become a nuisance to your neighbors. Your pile must be 50 feet from any structures, attended by a responsible person at all times, and you must have a means to extinguish the fire readily available. A comprehensive guide to open burning is available here.

Q: Will the Fire Department come to my house and burn the pile for me?

A: Please contact the firehouse at (585) 289-4485 or email to arrange an inspection of the pile.

Q: Does the fire department burn vacant houses / barns / or other structures uopn request?

A: You may request an inspection of a structure that you would like us to demolish by contacting us at (585) 289-4485 or email There are many special conditions that must be met if we are to perform a controlled burn.

Q: Do you accept donations?

A: We gladly accept donations of almost any sort. In the event that we aren't able to use a donated item, we find a good home for it with other local human service agencies. Monetary contributions are tax deductible, and may be sent to Citizens Hose Company, P.O. Box 446, Shortsville NY 14548.

Q: Why does the siren go off when there is a fire call?

A: The siren is a secondary alerting system, used in addition to the radio receiver "pagers" that we carry. Not all firefighters have pagers, and there are locations in the area where pagers do not function. Using the siren, firefighters know to respond when there is a call. It is also a device which could be used to alert the community for disaster purposes (E.g. a tornando)

Q: Why are there 2 ambulances that show up on calls, one from Shortsville and one from Finger Lakes?

A: The Shortsville (CHC) ambulance provides Basic Life Support equipment and personnel. Finger Lakes Ambulance works with us on calls that require Advanced Life Support skills. They are able to provide additional drugs and perform skills at an advanced level.

Q: How do I join the Citizens Hose Company?

A: Please download and complete the application for membership found here. Once completed, please mail you application to: Citizens Hose Company, Attn: President, 5 Sheldon St, Shortsville, NY 14548. Your application will be reviewed, and you will be contacted for an interview at our earliest convenience. If you have submitted an application and have a question, please contact us

Q: What types of help do you need?

A: We welcome people from all walks of life, and do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, nationality, creed, age, or sexual orientation. Members of the community serve in a variety of roles, such as: auxiliary volunteers, drivers, emergency medical technicians, and firefighters.

Q: How do I become trained to perform as an emergency services volunteer?

A: Firefighters, Emergency Medical Technicians and Drivers receive free training through New York State and Ontario County. Citizens Hose also provides weekly training sessions using certified instructors.

Q: Can I arrange a tour of the firehouse for myself or my group?

A: Absolutely. Guests are always welcome! Please contact us to make arrangements.

Q: My question is not on this list. How do I have it added?

A: Please contact us with your question and we will post your answer.